Scones are welcome any time of the day.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold Butter
1 1/4 cups Half & Half
1 large Egg
1/3 cup currants or raisins
1/4 cup real maple syrup
How to make
- STEP 1Heat oven to 375°F.
- STEP 2Combine flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- STEP 3Combine half & half and egg in small bowl until smooth. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until moistened. Stir in currants.
- STEP 4Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead 4 to 5 times until smooth, adding more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary.
- STEP 5Divide dough in half. Pat each half into 7-inch circle on large greased baking sheet. Score each half into 8 wedges. (Do not separate.)
- STEP 6Brush tops with half of maple syrup. Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with remaining maple syrup. Cut into wedges. Serve warm.