Recipe for New England Clam Chowder – This classic New England chowder, made with potatoes, onion, and canned clams, turns out creamy and hearty with a wonderful flavor thanks to the fresh thyme.
- 8 ounces each minced or chopped clams
- 1 teaspoon salt, go easy on salt, maybe less
- Dash pepper
- 1 1/2 cups drained whole kernel corn
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 cup clam liquid and water
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cups diced raw potato
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Drain clams. Pour clam liquid into measuring cup and add water to make 1 cup.
- Fry bacon until crisp. Add onion and cook until tender. Add potatoes, clam liquid and water. Lower heat and simmer gently until potatoes are tender.
- Add corn and milk. Blend flour and butter and stir into soup. Cook slowly until mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Add seasonings and clams. Simmer 5 minutes. Top with 1/2 cup coarse cracker crumbs, optional.
Follow me on Easy recipes